Trash that is not recyclable is transported to a nearby energy-from-waste, or EfW, facility. There, metals are removed from the waste and recycled, and the remaining trash is burned for energy recovery in the form of steam and electricity. No trash is sent to a landfill.
EV Charging Station
A Level 2 electric vehicle charging station was installed as part of a major building renovation. The station can charge two cars simultaneously, and more stations will be added as needed.
- We converted our warehouse and manufacturing facility lighting to T8 fluorescent, which uses one-third the energy of conventional lighting. This lighting is also brighter.
- A “cool roof“ was installed to prepare for our solar panel system and reduce energy usage. The white roof added two inches of solid insulation and reflects light and heat to reduce air conditioning usage.
- All windows were replaced with energy-efficient, tinted styles that feature two thermal barriers to reduce heating and cooling energy waste.
- Screens were fitted to all warehouse dock doors to allow natural ventilation without debris and insects entering the building. As a result, exhaust fans on the roof run less often, saving energy.
- Electrical system upgrades included a new bank of capacitors and a new high voltage transformer to use electricity more efficiently.
- High efficiency electric motors in our manufacturing areas and in the building’s air conditioning units improve function and save energy.
- Following an energy audit by an outside company, power correction modules were added to all major pieces of manufacturing process and support equipment. These additions successfully reduced energy consumption and improved equipment efficiency.
- On-demand generators automatically power on to bring electricity to our office areas during a power outage. This helps the company continue to run when electrical service is interrupted.
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Company-wide recycling of cardboard, plastic and batteries reduces our amount of waste.
- An industrial trash compactor reduces non-recyclable trash volume.
- A cardboard compactor diminishes the volume of unusable boxes and other cardboard into compact bundles, ready for pick-up and recycling; two tons of cardboard is recycled monthly.
- Plastic and silicone tubing waste, generated during the startup of extrusion processes, is recycled for other industrial uses.
- Manufacturing operation changes decreased water usage by nearly fifty percent.
- Tons – literally thousands of pounds – of outdated computers, monitors and printers were properly recycled by a specialist in computer-related waste. Team members are encouraged to bring in their own electronics-related waste for proper recycling.
- Reusable water bottles are given to every team member to decrease plastic water bottle use.
Solar Array Project
NewAge Industries’ solar energy system reflects our commitment to renewable energy. It generates a good portion of our annual electricity needs and allows us to be environmentally responsible, protect the local ecosystem, and reduce our energy costs. System highlights include:
- The generation of multiple megawatts of power per year
- 4,082 roof-mounted solar panels, making it the sixth-largest solar array in Pennsylvania and the largest roof-mounted system in Bucks County when installed
- The system cost $4.2 million with one-half paid by NewAge and one-half from federal and state sustainability grants
- All major components (panels, inverters, racking systems) were made in the United States as stipulated during the contractor bidding process
- Installation took approximately five months
- The system was powered up in June 2011
- Because NewAge Industries is a 100% employee-owned company, the team members collectively own the solar array
- Designer and General Contractor: Borrego Solar Systems
It takes a lot of energy to operate our manufacturing facility and corporate headquarters. There’s production machinery, lighting, computers, and a host of other energy-consuming equipment. Deciding to embrace solar energy allows NewAge to:
- Be a leader in clean, renewal energy
- Set an example of a company that can be progressive, successful and green
- Help our local community and environment
- Save on our electricity expenses